Display Dimming When I Don't Want It To

Daniel Armstrong daniel-r35aSzp7v8jQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 19 16:33:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM, jim <cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently updated to Lucid on my laptop and for some reason when I
> increase the brightness of my screen it just ramps down to minimum by
> itself again. Not sure if this has something to do with Gnome Power
> Manager. I made sure the settings look ok. It should only dim on low
> battery but this is happening when on AC power. My laptop , an Asus, has
> a light sensor that should set display brightness by itself. Maybe that
> is interfering. If so it doesn't work properly because changing the
> light level on the sensor doesn't seem to affect the display brightness.
> The icon for brightness shows I am full brightness even though I am
> actually at minimum brightness. Any thoughts?

Hi Jim... I recently picked up a Asus 1001P-MU17 netbook and tried out
Lucid on it (now running Debian) and the screen brightness was all
over the map. I fixed it by modifying the line /etc/default/grub to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"

and rebooting. To get maximum brightness the first time after
rebooting you may need to modify the brightness by hand... on my eeepc
netbook its:

echo 15 > /sys/class/backlight/eeepc/brightness

Your path with be different but thats the general idea.

Hope this helps to point you towards a solution!