Tylersberg chipset opinion

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 18 02:55:43 UTC 2010

Len Sorensen

> No they are not on par.  The intel has a much much better design now.
> QPI is much better than HT (unfortunately for AMD), and intel chipsets
> are certainly better than what ATI/AMD makes.  Also the core i7/i5 based
> chips are quite a bit faster than the athlon 64/phenom/opteron design.
>
> Since the Core 2 came out (and now the Core i7), I have not bought an
> AMD CPU.  There is no point in doing so.  Prior to that, there was no
> point ever buying a P4 of course, so I bought AMD CPUs.  The fact nvidia
> no longer seems interested in making chipsets for AMD doesn't help things.
> Now there are no good chipsets for the AMD that I am aware of.

Thanks, I envy you knowledge and tend to feel comfortable with your
suggestion so I will recommend R710.  Kind of sad though since I like
AMD in general.

Jamon, the current hardware perform fine and its not a replacement.
Its a new database server and none of the current hardware is being
decommissioned. However, being in the market, its good to evaluate the
current offering as Intel stuff have changed since the last purchase

William