Tylersberg chipset opinion

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon May 17 23:34:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 04:37:02PM -0400, William Muriithi wrote:
> Curious, I have been reading on the new Intel chipset - Tylersber and
> how it compare with AMD chipset RN50 ( Shipped with Dell 2970
> servers). Unfortunately, I have not seen any document out there that
> mention performance difference between the two chipset.
>
> I know, its one of those very general questions, but do you guys have
> an opinion how the two above compare. We are evaluating if it is worth
> picking Dell R710 - With the Intel chipset or just pick another Dell
> 2970? Before R710, it was an easy pick as Dell 2950 was far inferior.
> R710 has QPI (Quick Path Interconnect)  which bring it at par with
> 2970.

No they are not on par.  The intel has a much much better design now.
QPI is much better than HT (unfortunately for AMD), and intel chipsets
are certainly better than what ATI/AMD makes.  Also the core i7/i5 based
chips are quite a bit faster than the athlon 64/phenom/opteron design.

Since the Core 2 came out (and now the Core i7), I have not bought an
AMD CPU.  There is no point in doing so.  Prior to that, there was no
point ever buying a P4 of course, so I bought AMD CPUs.  The fact nvidia
no longer seems interested in making chipsets for AMD doesn't help things.
Now there are no good chipsets for the AMD that I am aware of.

--
Len Sorensen