Tylersberg chipset opinion

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 18 14:16:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:55:43PM -0400, William Muriithi wrote:
> Thanks, I envy you knowledge and tend to feel comfortable with your
> suggestion so I will recommend R710.  Kind of sad though since I like
> AMD in general.

Me too.  AMD has been an impressive underdog against intel.  The Athlon 64
based line is still nice, but the intel line is nicer.  My big issue with
AMD CPUs now is that the only chipsets avaialble are the AMD (formerly
ATI) ones, and certainly in the past they were absolutely awful.

VIA and Nvidia chipsets weren't always perfect but they were generally
quite good.  Maybe the new AMD ones are better, but I haven't had any
reason to consider them, given the intel CPUs are currently much better.

> Jamon, the current hardware perform fine and its not a replacement.
> Its a new database server and none of the current hardware is being
> decommissioned. However, being in the market, its good to evaluate the
> current offering as Intel stuff have changed since the last purchase

My wife is very happy with her core i7 box at least, except the night
a lightning strike apparently took out the power supply.  It took a few
days for the smell to clear.

--
Len Sorensen