Tylersberg chipset opinion

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 17 20:55:45 UTC 2010

On 05/17/2010 04:37 PM, William Muriithi wrote:
> Pal
>
> Curious, I have been reading on the new Intel chipset - Tylersber and
> how it compare with AMD chipset RN50 ( Shipped with Dell 2970
> servers). Unfortunately, I have not seen any document out there that
> mention performance difference between the two chipset.
>
> I know, its one of those very general questions, but do you guys have
> an opinion how the two above compare. We are evaluating if it is worth
> picking Dell R710 - With the Intel chipset or just pick another Dell
> 2970? Before R710, it was an easy pick as Dell 2950 was far inferior.
> R710 has QPI (Quick Path Interconnect)  which bring it at par with
> 2970.

Depends, does your workload benefit from hyper-threading or not? If so,
it might be worth the extra cost (8 cpus = 16 virtual, versus 12 cpus
with the AMD). Also, how much memory per cpu do you want? Seems the
triple-channel stuff is a bit trickier with pricing to get the ranks
matched correctly.

Finally, do you need anything more than what you currently have and know
works or would more of the same be adequate?

Jamon