Asus motherboard? -- never again!

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 26 02:42:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:33:10 -0400
CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 03/25/2010 10:20 PM, ted leslie wrote:
> >
> > i swear by asus and tyan,  tyan for amd, and both i consider for
> > intel. i was going to buy a asus shortly, as intel seems to be the
> > way to go as of late. I will have to do some checking now. Tyan are
> > always a good bet, but a little pricy. I am not aware of any other
> > brands of motherboards that are considered rocks except asus and
> > tyan.
>
> The only motherboard that has died on a system that I've personally
> owned is an expensive dual CPU Tyan motherboard but that was ages ago.
> The flip side of that is that I have a system with a cheap ECS
> motherboard that has been powered by a cheap, no-name power supply since
> 2001. ECS isn't supposed to be a good brand so what this demonstrates to
> me is that unless you have a statistically significant sample, one can't
> draw any conclusions from anecdotes.

absolutely!  40 tyans over 5 years, no failures (well one onboard graphics card went weird, but
still worked with a slotted one), those stats work for me.

also , intel makes go mobo's but they don't tend to be bleeding edge.
I was making a few linux routers, and i wanted the most reliable mobo, this way about 5 years ago.
And i researched and found a few of the large hosters that buy thousands of them,
touted this one intel board, so i got that one. Interesting to see what the
large hosters are buying these days (well aside from hp blades).

tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>