Asus motherboard? -- never again!

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 26 19:06:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:33:10PM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> The only motherboard that has died on a system that I've personally
> owned is an expensive dual CPU Tyan motherboard but that was ages ago.
> The flip side of that is that I have a system with a cheap ECS
> motherboard that has been powered by a cheap, no-name power supply since
> 2001. ECS isn't supposed to be a good brand so what this demonstrates to
> me is that unless you have a statistically significant sample, one can't
> draw any conclusions from anecdotes.

If 100% of ECS boards failed, they would not be in business anymore, since
no OEM would buy from them.  They do have a long history of unreliable and
flacky boards.  They may not necesarily die, but they can be unreliable.
I once saw a windows 98 system that frequently crashed and corrupted the
filesystem.  Seems simple enough to blame microsoft for it.  Turns out
replacing the power supply fixed the problem.  Bad power made the system
unstable.  So an unreliable motherboard could do that.

--
Len Sorensen