Machine fake rebooting

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 1 18:22:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Tyler Aviss wrote:

> I've since changed my own password and turned on molly-guard just in
> case. Is there perhaps something that can be misinterpreted as a
> reboot or some weird hot-key that will do it?

In general it's considered a bad idea to auto-reboot servers since they
may fail to come up and no sysadmin is necessarily present to deal with
the issue.

There are a couple of processes which can be allowed to reboot a box
though:

(1) UPS daemon software.  Normally they halt rather than reboot and they
clearly report themselves when doing it.

(2) A watchdog process.  A watchdog should really be pushing the big red
button rather than doing an orderly shutdown[1].   Software watchdogs can
fail to reboot a box in some circumstances but even they can call
HARD_RESET_NOW() and avoid doing an orderly shutdown.

Do run rkhunder and/or chkrootkit on the box, just in case.

[1] If the box is able to do an orderly shutdown how sick could it be? If
the orderly shutdown fails the watchdog was useless.

Rob

Email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
IRC: Solver
Web: http://www.practicalsysadmin.com
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy