Machine fake rebooting

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 1 18:42:29 UTC 2010

If it's anything other than "shutdown -k", shouldn't it be showing in syslog.

Other than the fact it drops my SSH session (which I can reconnect to
right away anyhow), I see no other symptoms that it actually attempted
a real shutdown. But again, nobody else should even have access to do
the shutdown -k, and that shouldn't be able to drop the SSH session.

No UPS daemon running
No watchdogs that I know of unless there's something that asterisk is
trying to pull off on me.

chkrootkit shows up nil, and rkhunter didn't find anything noteworthy,
but this is on the running box. I'm going to have to attach a
USB-CDROM to it and run those again from a known safe source.

- TJA