Home NAS Recommendations

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 28 21:09:33 UTC 2010

| From: William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>

| Another possibility that occurs to me is that I could pick up a router
| with a USB port.

I've heard a few folks whining about the transfer rate of wireless
routers with USB drives hooked to them.

The most egregious case (if I remember correctly) is the Asus one that
advertises USB 2 support but does not manage the USB 2 "High Speed"
rate.  I think that it only managed to be a USB 1.x controller.

Lennart has suggested that handling USB is processor intensive so
low-power router CPUs might not be up to the task.

Do read reviews about whatever choice you are thinking of making.

If you want to build your own Mini-ITX box for this, there appears to
be a good deal at NewEgg.ca today for a case and power supply.
  <http://www.newegg.ca/Special/ShellShocker.aspx>