Which power supply?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 18 16:21:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:20:53PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
> One word; jonnyguru.com.
>
> I like to think that I know my way around a PSU, and have
> bought/sold/serviced easily over a hundred in the last ten years. That
> said, I'd bow out to Mr. Guru... He knows his PSUs better than just
> about anyone.
>
> He hot-boxes all of his test units (sticks it in a box at 50c) and
> drives the load up to 100% of stated max capacity. He watches the
> stability of the rails and, when they blow, he tears them down and finds
> out what failed.

Sounds similar to how hardwaresecrets does tests, although if it does
fail I am not sure they really quite care why.  It sure isn't going to
get recommended if it fails.

> Anyone looking to build their own system would be well served to spend a
> few hours on his page.
>
> Now, as a personal recommendation, Antec, Silverstone and PC Power &
> Cooling have not steered me wrong. However, like most here, I speak from
> anecdotal experience.

Antec has made some bad models.  So has Silverstone.  PC Power & Cooling I
can't say has ever done wrong, other than being now just about completely
impossible to buy in Canada.

--
Len Sorensen