Which power supply?

Digimer linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 18 03:20:53 UTC 2010

On 10-06-17 10:55 PM, William Park wrote:
> While we're on the topic of "building" computers... Which power supply
> (around 500W) would you recommend?  For other components, I can pretty
> much follow my nose.  But, power supply is one component that I have to
> defer to the experts.

One word; jonnyguru.com.

I like to think that I know my way around a PSU, and have
bought/sold/serviced easily over a hundred in the last ten years. That
said, I'd bow out to Mr. Guru... He knows his PSUs better than just
about anyone.

He hot-boxes all of his test units (sticks it in a box at 50c) and
drives the load up to 100% of stated max capacity. He watches the
stability of the rails and, when they blow, he tears them down and finds
out what failed.

Anyone looking to build their own system would be well served to spend a
few hours on his page.

Now, as a personal recommendation, Antec, Silverstone and PC Power &
Cooling have not steered me wrong. However, like most here, I speak from
anecdotal experience.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:         linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org