Which power supply?

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 18 18:36:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> Antec has made some bad models.  So has Silverstone.  PC Power & Cooling I
> can't say has ever done wrong, other than being now just about completely
> impossible to buy in Canada.

I had an Antec die on me.  Quietest supply I ever owned.  It even
quietly failed.  They replaced it under warranty with no shipping
costs or anything.  The new one is working fine, apparently the
failure was a known defect.

Given that I've never actually had a power supply die in one of my
home machines before, that doesn't speak well of Antec's
reliability... but it does speak well of their support.

I'd be *really* careful buying an Antec for somebody other than
myself.  Replacing a PSU is annoying.  The problems are documented
though, so you should be able to avoid it by watching the model
numbers carefully.

Are their newest supplies good, or was it just a bad year?

-Mike