adding 1G ethernet to a 100M network

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 29 16:01:47 UTC 2010

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> My home ethernet is all 100M.
>
> I'm accumulating a few devices with 1G interfaces.
>
> I assume that I can add a 1G switch, connect it to one of my 100M
> switches, and connect the nearby 1G interfaces to the new switch.
>
> Does this cause any problems?  Are there better ways to do this?

Switches will automagically detect and configure for the correct speed.
You could have a mix of 10M, 100M and 1G on your switch without problem.
> Are Jumbo Frames something I should consider?  I assume that means telling
> the various nodes that Jumbo Frames are OK.  My 1G switch says that it
> handles Jumbo Frames.

Jumbo frames are useful only if you're sending large amounts of data and
should be enabled only if all devices on the network can handle them.

> All switches are unmanaged.
>
> Is there a good/easy/cheap way to test if a cable is working well for 1G
> traffic?  Some of my home-made cables might not be great.

While there are cable testers, I don't know of any cheap methods, short
of pushing a lot of data through them and watching for errors.
> I have used Cat5e cable for years.  Is Cat6 better for this purpose?

For short distances, probably no difference.
> I don't actually have much traffic that would go at 1G end-to-end even if
> I put all my nearby 1G devices on one 1G switch.

Then there may be no point in buying a 1 Gb switch, as 100 Mb will
likely do fine.  However, if you have to buy a new switch anyway, then
go for it.