adding 1G ethernet to a 100M network

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 29 18:38:49 UTC 2010

On 07/29/2010 12:01 PM, James Knott wrote:
> D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> My home ethernet is all 100M.
>>
>> I'm accumulating a few devices with 1G interfaces.
>>
>> I assume that I can add a 1G switch, connect it to one of my 100M
>> switches, and connect the nearby 1G interfaces to the new switch.
>>
>> Does this cause any problems? Are there better ways to do this?
>
> Switches will automagically detect and configure for the correct speed.
> You could have a mix of 10M, 100M and 1G on your switch without problem.

There is a caveat. At a colo facility recently, we installed a gigabit
D-Link switch figuring that it would "just work". The network
performance of any of the machines connected to that switch was abysmal
even though the colo facility had provided us with a 100Gbit/s
connection to their Cisco switch. Apparently, consumer grade switches
like the D-Link and others cannot auto-negotiate to the highest possible
rate if the other end isn't configured to auto-negotiate. The other end
was configured to be 100Gbit/s, full-duplex. The D-Link would fall back
to 10Mbit/s, half-duplex, thus explaining the poor network performance.
Replacing the D-Link with a Cisco (not Linksys) switch and setting it to
100Mbit/s, full-duplex was the solution.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis