adding 1G ethernet to a 100M network

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 29 15:52:29 UTC 2010

My home ethernet is all 100M.

I'm accumulating a few devices with 1G interfaces.

I assume that I can add a 1G switch, connect it to one of my 100M
switches, and connect the nearby 1G interfaces to the new switch.

Does this cause any problems?  Are there better ways to do this?

Are Jumbo Frames something I should consider?  I assume that means telling
the various nodes that Jumbo Frames are OK.  My 1G switch says that it
handles Jumbo Frames.

All switches are unmanaged.

Is there a good/easy/cheap way to test if a cable is working well for 1G
traffic?  Some of my home-made cables might not be great.

I have used Cat5e cable for years.  Is Cat6 better for this purpose?

I don't actually have much traffic that would go at 1G end-to-end even if
I put all my nearby 1G devices on one 1G switch.