Google Nexus One

Amanda Yilmaz ayilmaz-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 22 04:21:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:03 -0400, "Herb Richter" <hgr-FjoMob2a1F7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Gary Walsh wrote:
> > I made the mistake of buying a Nexus One from a store on Yonge Street
> > and only realized after it was too late to return it that it was the AWS
> > model that works on the 3G used by Wind Mobile which is not available
> > outside of Toronto. (Works on 2G on Rogers, Bell and Telus). If any
> > current or prospective Wind Mobile users are interested in purchasing it
> > from me, email me for the details.
> >
> The AWS model also works on Mobilicity - but still only in the Toronto
> area.
>
> I really like the unlimited data; especially now that Android 2.2 has
> native wireless tethering.
>
> I was originally with Wind but changed to Mobilicity because of Wind's
> incompetent administration.
> Mobilicity is also cheaper, their network seems better in the areas
> where I use it most (Scarborough, Markham)
> and has blocked only a couple of ports (ie voip)

As a current Wind customer, I'd like to point out that Wind compares favourably to Mobilicity on at least a few points which are important to me:

* Mobilicity only operates in Toronto at the present time. Wind also operates in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa, and all those cities are considered "WIND Home" zones even if your phone is based in the GTA.

* Wind's GTA coverage is much more extensive than Mobilicity's, extending along the entire north shore from Hamilton to Oshawa. Mobilicity's GTA coverage only extends from Mississauga to Scarborough (!)

* Mobilicity doesn't offer US roaming at the present time, a non-starter for me since I have family in the States and visit there a lot. Wind's US roaming rates are the cheapest around, at 25c/minute; all other Canadian carriers will charge at least $1.45/minute (95c/min roaming plus 50c/min long distance).

* Mobilicity will not unlock its phones, ever. Wind at least will unlock them after you've had a plan with them for 3 months. (I know it's possible to get phones unlocked via third parties, but Mobilicity's stance on this still angers me, particularly since their phones aren't subsidized.)

I can't argue as to Wind's administration, though in their defence I'd like to state that I've managed to solve any problems I've had with them so far. And the port-blocking is indeed annoying, though I've managed to find workarounds for the cases where it affected me. I only hope they manage to work through their troubles soon; losing any of the new carriers in the current lopsided market would benefit no one.

Amanda