GCC question

bob 295 icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 28 15:27:26 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 27 January 2010 08:04 am, bob 295 wrote:
> I've been trying to cross compile some code for an ARM compliant processor
> (http://www.plugcomputer.org).     The supplied tools seem to work for
> "hello world" and the various libraries.    All I did was to override the
> CC in my makefiles with the new path to the cross compiler (gcc).  However,
>  one of my modules includes <sys/wait.h> and the cross compile toolchain
> can't find it. My question is since I didn't change anything in the way of
> environment variables and I didn't run anything like .config or make
> config,  how does this new gcc "know" to look in different places for the
> headers?  ie. sys/wait.h does exist on my box.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> bob

This problem just gets stranger the more I dig.   In one of my Google travels
someone on the Gentoo forum claimed that ARM architecture doesn't support the
wait() functions,  so they are not implemented for ARM.    As far as I know
the use of wait() is the only way to eliminate zombie processes in a forking
parent/child architecture.

The question I have is why does this process stuff have anything to do with
the underlying hardware architecture?    If you can't wait() in ARM Linux
what do you do to get rid of zombie processes?