GCC question

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 28 15:39:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:27:26AM -0500, bob 295 wrote:
> This problem just gets stranger the more I dig.   In one of my Google travels
> someone on the Gentoo forum claimed that ARM architecture doesn't support the
> wait() functions,  so they are not implemented for ARM.    As far as I know
> the use of wait() is the only way to eliminate zombie processes in a forking
> parent/child architecture.
>
> The question I have is why does this process stuff have anything to do with
> the underlying hardware architecture?    If you can't wait() in ARM Linux
> what do you do to get rid of zombie processes?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Well I certainly don't believe that linux doesn't implement wait.
Other OSs might not.

Back when I did do work with arm I never ran into anything that didn't
just work.  It should be no different than any other linux architecture
(unless you are doing driver work in the kernel in which case it is
way different).

I do hope you are using EABI arm (Debian calls it armel).  The old ABI
is terrible.

--
Len Sorensen