How do I restore a broken Vista Partition without breaking Linux?

jim cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 23 03:45:52 UTC 2010

Hi,
I know this is a bit off topic here but not sure where to get help on
this. I have a Vista partition that I need for a course I teach. I'm
usually in my Linux partition but yesterday when I went into Vista, in
it's Microsoft way it updated itself to Service Pack 2. When I rebooted
I got a black screen with the cursor showing. I tried booting into safe
mode and this did the same thing. I ran chkdsk from a command prompt and
no change. Below I'm posting the last few lines from the boot log in
case anyone knows what this means. If I put my recovery disk in it warns
that it will wipe all partitions. Is there any way to use the recovery
disk without losing my Linux partition? ( note that it is a recovery
disk from ASUS so not a complete Vista Disk) I'm considering just
getting Windows 7 and be done with Vista. If I do will Windows see my
Linux partition and bootloader and leave everything to do with Linux
alone? Any advice to get me out of this quagmire would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
Last 20 lines of my boot log :

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndisuio.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rspndr.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\Program Files\ATKGFNEX\ASMMAP.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\HTTP.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\Windows\system32\drivers\CO_Mon.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srvnet.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\mrxdav.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv2.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\bowser.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\Program Files\ASUS\NB Probe\SPM\ghaio.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb10.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb20.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\peauth.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\secdrv.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\tcpipreg.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ubohci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ubsbm.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ubumapi.sys