HDTV @ 1080p, full-screen video

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 21 16:17:20 UTC 2010

I've got a box that I'm currently trying to diagose some "issues" with.
Currently it's running Ubuntu 9.10, has a GeForce (9200 I believe)
card with DVI out, and has issues playing video. I'm using the NVidia
binary-blob drivers.

If I reduce the resolution to 1300x800 (or whatever the exact mode
is), the video plays smoothly. At full HD, the sound desyncs and
there's a fair bit of stuttering. At full res the CPU usage seems a
bit high, but it isn't pegged.

I had a similar rig that used HDMI out, and older GeForce (6600) card,
and didn't experience these issues. Anyone know of any issues with
recent Xorg/Ubuntu and high-def video?

I can't remember if this box had HDMI, but it does have VGA, so I
think perhaps in the meantime I'll test that. In windows it also
supports audio-over-DVI but I've yet to attempt that in 'nix.

I had another machine with an Intel chipset that similar issues, but I
think that was only 1080i and I can't remember what exactly resolved
it but it "just started working" eventually.

--
Tyler Aviss
Systems Support