HDTV @ 1080p, full-screen video

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 21 19:56:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 08:17:20AM -0800, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> I've got a box that I'm currently trying to diagose some "issues" with.
> Currently it's running Ubuntu 9.10, has a GeForce (9200 I believe)
> card with DVI out, and has issues playing video. I'm using the NVidia
> binary-blob drivers.
>
> If I reduce the resolution to 1300x800 (or whatever the exact mode
> is), the video plays smoothly. At full HD, the sound desyncs and
> there's a fair bit of stuttering. At full res the CPU usage seems a
> bit high, but it isn't pegged.
>
> I had a similar rig that used HDMI out, and older GeForce (6600) card,
> and didn't experience these issues. Anyone know of any issues with
> recent Xorg/Ubuntu and high-def video?
>
> I can't remember if this box had HDMI, but it does have VGA, so I
> think perhaps in the meantime I'll test that. In windows it also
> supports audio-over-DVI but I've yet to attempt that in 'nix.
>
> I had another machine with an Intel chipset that similar issues, but I
> think that was only 1080i and I can't remember what exactly resolved
> it but it "just started working" eventually.

What player are you using?

Does the player use XvMC?  Does it use libvdpau?

If you don't use one of those, you probably won't be able to handle
highres decoding.

Certainly playing back 1080i video on my mythtv box scaling to the TV
res works perfectly.  I just play them and mythtv does whatever it does
for playback.  I use an 8600GT card with the drivers installed the debian
way of course.

--
Len Sorensen