mini-boards/boxes (was Re:Open-PC: From the community, for the community)

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 21 16:10:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 1/20/10, Michael Lauzon <mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Anyone know about this, it's a PC that only uses free software, and
>> Linux is at the heart of it:
>>
>> http://open-pc.com/
>
> I saw the Slashdot story about the above:
>
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/01/20/0020246/100-Free-Software-Compatible-PC-Launches
>
> I am unimpressed with the machine, because:
>
> - a 160 GB hard disk in an era when 1 TB drives are under $100 and 1.5
> TB drives are under $130...
> - I love expansion slots, so for anything other than MythTV client
> boxes I have avoided microATX motherboards (which this box has).
> - At $529 (Cdn.) (359 Euros at current exchange rate) you can build a
> FAR better box (how ever you want to measure things) from the clone
> shops at College / Spadina than what these folks are offering.
>
> Bottom line, interesting idea, but part of what turned me from
> Microsoft software was getting more bang for the the buck, not less.
> This box is too small, limited and expensive to be of interest.
>
> Colin McGregor
>
>> --
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Michael Lauzon
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

What do you use expansion slots for nowadays?
For myself, I like to have at least *one*, but since most things are
integrated (or use USB) these days more than that I haven't found
overly necessary. Having one slot makes it at least capable of an
extra video/sound card or maybe a TV-tuner, but most times the onboard
is sufficient (and the sound/tv can be used /w a USB adaptor)

I remember back in the day I had a nice Epia-M10000 board that came
with a PCMCIA and flashcard slot at the back, which was quite nice. I
think many modern mini-boards tend to have a miniPCI slot or something
of the like?

For a general-purpose mini-board, this one looked quite nice to me,
and I've seen the IonX-A-U on ebay etc for under $200.
  http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/zotac-ion/default.asp?page=2

Features:
Dual-core atom CPU 1.6Ghz, 1M cache
GeForce 9400M-series GPU /w DVI/VGA dual-link HDMI
Gig ethernet
1xMiniPCI slot
Integrated HDA 5.1 sound with SPDIF (TOSLINK+optical)
2 memory slots
DC power input (19V)
802.11n /w Integrated wifi antenna mount (though I think the wifi card
takes up the mini-PCI slot)
6xUSB rear connectors, + 2 more 9-pin connectors (for 2x2ports)
3xSATA + 1xeSATA

I've seen variations with slightly different RAM combinatoins (some
only take 4GB/6400, some take 8GB DDR2-800) as well as 7.1HDA, etc.
All in 17x17cm

So around $200 for the board+integrated (assuming the ebay prices,
$150+shipping/exchange), throw in a drive and some RAM, a SFF case...
and you can still have a nice linux-happy PC for under $500.

If one is going for more power, I've built some nice shuttle machines
for $500'ish. The work fine with 'nix. Most stuff does.

So yeah, what's makes this a linux PC? That it has linux
pre-installed. Walmart sold those, and there are plenty of other
places that do too. None of the hardware seems very good, and almost
anyone who uses 'nix as a primary OS could probably whip up something
better easily enough.

Lame.