Retrieving emails from a dead server's hard drive

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 7 17:04:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 11:57:25AM -0500, Yanni Chiu wrote:
> Tyler Aviss wrote:
>> I thought my SPAM filtering was pretty good, but theirs is just bloody
>> amazing.  I maybe see one or two junk mails every few months, and
>> almost zilch for false positives. I guess they just have more
>> reports/feedback to compare against, but I wonder what filters they
>> use and if they're publicly available.

Well my wife gets tons of false positives on gmail.  I almost never
get any.

Of course gmail has the advantage of being able to see the same message
sent to 100000 people at the same time.  Pretty good clue it was spam.

> Wild speculation on my part, but my guess is that humans may be
> involved. If some spam makes it through the filter, then if someone
> reads their email, and reports it as spam, then it can be further
> investigated. If it really is spam, then they could be nuked from
> people's mailboxes before they check their email.
>
> I'm not sure how to explain the lack of false positives, other than "how
> would you really know, unless you checked all your spam for real email?"

I do that.  Of course I just quickly read over the subjects and senders
in the spam folder before deleting them.

> BTW, I've never used Google mail, so I don't know what the interface is
> like.

spam goes in a seperate "folder" from which it is deleted automatically
if it sits there for more than 30 days or something like that, or you
can select it and purge it yourself (which is what I do).

--
Len Sorensen