Retrieving emails from a dead server's hard drive

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 5 22:01:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:30 PM, William O'Higgins Witteman
<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> One thing that worries me is that the hostnames of the old server and my
> desktop differ, so the filenames in the maildirs, which include the
> hostname, will not be uniform.  I will test, and report back.

That's intended, and perfectly fine.

The point of having the hostname in the name is to encourage
uniqueness of the filename so the store would be safely writable
concurrently without need for locking by many writers even atop an NFS
store.

Having the hostname in the filename means that if you have 2 hosts
writing entries into the same Maildir directory, they do not need to
concern themselves with the potential problem of claiming colliding
filenames.

<http://www.qmail.org/qmail-manual-html/man5/maildir.html>
Mike Ditka  - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have
given us arms." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mike_ditka.html