Retrieving emails from a dead server's hard drive

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 7 16:57:25 UTC 2010

Tyler Aviss wrote:
> I thought my SPAM filtering was pretty good, but theirs is just bloody
> amazing.  I maybe see one or two junk mails every few months, and
> almost zilch for false positives. I guess they just have more
> reports/feedback to compare against, but I wonder what filters they
> use and if they're publicly available.

Wild speculation on my part, but my guess is that humans may be
involved. If some spam makes it through the filter, then if someone
reads their email, and reports it as spam, then it can be further
investigated. If it really is spam, then they could be nuked from
people's mailboxes before they check their email.

I'm not sure how to explain the lack of false positives, other than "how
would you really know, unless you checked all your spam for real email?"

BTW, I've never used Google mail, so I don't know what the interface is
like.

--
Yanni