kubuntu 9.10 dual monitor setup

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 6 14:16:41 UTC 2010

2010/1/5 Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
> So it looks like the vid card on my mobo was not liked by kubuntu 9.10
> (NVIDIA Geforce7050PV/nForce 630a)
>
> I just got my new video card also a nvidia 9500 GT to setup dual
> monitors. i was able to get kubuntu 9.10 installed and currently
> updating the base
>
> the video card has 2 dvi output to support dual monitors, one one i am
> using a vga adaptor.
>
> i can't seem to get dual monitor to work? from system settings ->
> monitor, i see 2 vid output one is DVI0, the other is VGA2 which seems
> correct because these are the two monitors i have plugged in
>
> what's odd is i can set up different screen resolution for each
> monitor, but I only see one desktop, both monitors show the same
> desktop.
>
> how do i get each monitor to show it's own desktop?

A friend of mine recently encountered a very similar problem with a
Debian install: it could see both the outputs, but wouldn't use them
except in mirrored mode.  The solution for him was a "Virtual" line in
xorg.conf:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2#the_Virtual_screen

I hope this helps - in fact, please let me know (off list if you
prefer) if it does, as I deal with this fairly frequently myself on
various machines.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/