kubuntu 9.10 dual monitor setup

Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar alexandre.alencar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 6 15:00:27 UTC 2010

Hi all

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> 2010/1/5 Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
>> So it looks like the vid card on my mobo was not liked by kubuntu 9.10
>> (NVIDIA Geforce7050PV/nForce 630a)
>>
>> I just got my new video card also a nvidia 9500 GT to setup dual
>> monitors. i was able to get kubuntu 9.10 installed and currently
>> updating the base
>>
>> the video card has 2 dvi output to support dual monitors, one one i am
>> using a vga adaptor.
>>
>> i can't seem to get dual monitor to work? from system settings ->
>> monitor, i see 2 vid output one is DVI0, the other is VGA2 which seems
>> correct because these are the two monitors i have plugged in
>>
>> what's odd is i can set up different screen resolution for each
>> monitor, but I only see one desktop, both monitors show the same
>> desktop.
>>
>> how do i get each monitor to show it's own desktop?
>
> A friend of mine recently encountered a very similar problem with a
> Debian install: it could see both the outputs, but wouldn't use them
> except in mirrored mode.  The solution for him was a "Virtual" line in
> xorg.conf:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2#the_Virtual_screen
>
> I hope this helps - in fact, please let me know (off list if you
> prefer) if it does, as I deal with this fairly frequently myself on
> various machines.

I wrote a small post about this. It's in Brazilian Portuguese, but you
can use Google Translate to get it in another langs.

The Virtual param should have the sum off all horizontal resolution
plus the bigger vertical resolution... So let's say you have a
1280x800 laptop and a 1280x1024 LCD display, you should add a line
like this one for Display sub-section of you Screen section.

Virtual 2560 1024

For more details, check it here
http://blog.alexandrealencar.net/2009/09/melhore-sua-produtividade-no-notebook.html

> --