getting rid of paper files

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 28 20:54:51 UTC 2010

On 02/28/2010 03:25 PM, edward chin wrote:
> If I understand the situation correctly, you need a way of indexing
> numerous paper documents and retaining a scanned copy of each.
>
> From a legal, artistic, or creative perspective, a copy is not an
> acceptable substitute for the original.

I notice that CIBC is scanning cheques and archiving them digitally. I
don't know if they keep the originals or not but I know that they don't
return them to me. My understanding is that this is acceptable to RevCan
so if it works in that case, why shouldn't it work in Hugh's case?

The concept of "original" is pretty fuzzy when anyone can scan, create,
or otherwise modify "originals" using commonly-available software. And
what is an "original" when it comes to something like an invoice? Is it
the first copy out of the printer? Is it the representation of the
invoice as ones and zeros on the vendor's computer? Is it the copy that
the vendor sends by postal mail to me, which may be the Nth copy that
they printed? Is it the PDF that they put on their web site that I fetch
and subsequently make multiple copies of in my backups? Is the first
copy of the PDF "the original"? The paper invoicing and payments system
is a house of cards that survives only because most people are honest
and presumably, the cost of fraud is lower than the cost of changing the
system to something more secure.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay