Rogers ZTE MF668 3G Rocket Stick Solution

Brian Carlile brian.carlile-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 24 16:03:04 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I just wanted to say hello as a new reader of the TLUG mailing list and
share something that may be of use to others in the GTA.

A friend, for whom I had set up an MSI Wind U100 to use Unbuntu 9.04,
asked me for help getting his new Rogers Rocket Stick to work. Of
course, the sales guy had assured him that he just had to plug it in and
of course it would work under "what was that?" Linux.

My friend is totally sold on his Linux netbook but really needs the 3G
connection so this rapidly became a bit of a crusade.

First and obvious routes - there is no manufacturer support and nothing
online that I could find from Rogers.

The device itself is the ZTE MF668. It has a small amount of memory
which is used to store an installation image for Windoze, so when
plugged in to a M$ machine it manifests itself as a USB CD drive. The
install process helps to lock in the Rogers only impression and
configures the modem. There is a microSD slot (similar to most smart
phones) which can be a useful adjunct to the stick.

So we have a multifunction device and the issue is to get the OS to
recognise it primarily as a USB broadband modem and possibly as a memory
stick.

There was a lot of rather confusing advice on the net about this sort of
thing and I had the luxury of two very similar netbooks to work out the
answer. I followed a number of promising routes and did get the thing up
and running but not in a consistent manner that would be reassuring to a
non-techie. (I wanted to avoid a crib sheet and command line instructions)

What I detail below worked perfectly on the test machine and then was
repeatable on the "clean"machine. The Rocket Stick is identified
properly when plugged in and unmounts the modem element automatically
when unplugged. The memory card element auto mounts and can be unmounted
as one would expect.

I wrote up these notes referring specifically to Ubuntu 9.04 but I
suspect they will be of some value for other versions and distros. My
sincere thanks to the guys at http://www.draisberghof.de and
http://www.greenhughes.com.

Best wishes to all

Brian Carlile