Linux-related jobs in Toronto

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 6 21:09:14 UTC 2010

Renata Rocha wrote:
> I'll be arriving in Toronto in March 1st. I'm a unix/linux sysadmin
> and, as a newcomer, I'll need a new job. I'm already looking for jobs
> in sites like Monster and Craigslist, but, I'd like some tips from the
> toronto linux community on how the job search works.
>
> What sites do you recommend? What and when are the best open source
> events that happen in Ontario, so I can attend? Do you believe in
> certifications, like RHCE, LPIC or CISSP for Systems Administrator, or
> college education works better?
>
> And, a final question: does my previous brazilian work experience have
> any meaning for the canadian linux community?
>
> Thanks!

Hi Renata!

   Please take what zg says with a touch of salt, we're really not that
bad. :)

   You found TLUG, so feel free to come to our meetings. There are also
several other open source and language specific groups in the area like
TPM (Toronto Perl Mongers). Getting out and meeting people will be a big
help.

   Help us get to know you. What projects have you worked on? What are
your areas of expertise?

   As for prior experience; I've never gone to school for IT, but have
been able to make a living. It's hard(er) to get a job with a bigger
firm, but with smaller firms you can generally have good luck. It all
comes down to what you know with those small firms. So if your Brazilian
experience can be described, you should be golden.

   Another thought is; Your English sounds very good, so perhaps you
could do some talks at some local geek groups do help get yourself known
in the area?

   Look forward to getting to know you!

Madi