Inventory and POS/Cash Solutions

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 6 22:23:35 UTC 2010

William Park <opengeometry at ...> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 04:10:08PM -0800, Timothy Washington wrote:
> > A friend said something similar - start with the i) software (inventory &
> > accounting) and ii) back-end database first.
>
> It's not so much which is first or last.  But, if you clearly separate
> backend business logic and frontend user interface, then it's much much
> easier.  One major problem with all-inclusive solution is that it works
> for what it was designed for, which mostly likely is not your situation.

I'm not sure why such an approach would be good. CSV data from any standard cash
register is meant to go directly into Excel (or Gnumeric or OOO.org). The usual
POS devices where the ui is separate from the reporting and from the
accounting/billing are meant for the restaurant and hotel business. You can mix
and match whatever you want there, usually touch screens, external printers and
barcode wands and it's all networked.

I did not know that the LCBO terminals run on Linux. I know that McD's terminals
ran on some BSD a long time ago and likely still do.

Anyway doing all this by hand could be an interesting learning project but also
a harsh and possibly painful entry into CRM land (and SAP territory).

-- Peter