Inventory and POS/Cash Solutions

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 6 01:28:07 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 04:10:08PM -0800, Timothy Washington wrote:
> A friend said something similar - start with the i) software (inventory &
> accounting) and ii) back-end database first.

It's not so much which is first or last.  But, if you clearly separate
backend business logic and frontend user interface, then it's much much
easier.  One major problem with all-inclusive solution is that it works
for what it was designed for, which mostly likely is not your situation.

>                                              Was recommended some open source
> packages like i) http://www.openbravo.com and ii) http://l-ane.sourceforge.net ,
> but I'm still trying to understand how to piece it all together. I really want
> to be able to input inventory arrivals; then have a bar-code scanner (or just
> POS) track what goes out the door.

Entering item info is just data entry into whatever database you have.
You don't have to worry about what goes out.  You get that for free,
from sales report.

> It sounds like the cash drawer would have to be hooked up to the receipt printer
> (serial connection?) - all from a POS screen.

Yes.  Cash drawer has solenoid lock, which will be triggered to open by
sending appropriate command to the printer.

>                                               And yes, there is already a cash
> register and bar-code reader there (don't have the specs). But I want something
> that can be hooked up to an inventory control system.

That's just it.  Things just don't happen by "hooking up".  You have to
count what you sold, and substract from quantity on-hand.  Someone has
to run Z-report to close the register.  Someone has to run the sales
report.  Actually, you get "inventory control system" for free.
--
William