Inventory and POS/Cash Solutions

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 6 22:55:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Peter <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Anyway doing all this by hand could be an interesting learning project but also
> a harsh and possibly painful entry into CRM land (and SAP territory).

Yep.

SAP territory is where "everything's deeply integrated into one giant
database."  There's a lot of neat stuff that can be done with that,
but it imposes a lot, too.

I rather like the "have independent systems, and pull data from them"
approach; if you can periodically pull the data underlying the cash
register tape out, a lot can be done with that, *without* forcing
writing BDC sessions
(http://www.sap-img.com/abap/learning-bdc-programming.htm) and such
awfulness.

If you want tight integration, that's hugely costly.  But having a
bunch of independent islands isn't without its costs, too :-(.