I Am Now 34....

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 11 18:16:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Michael Lauzon <mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Well, I am now 34 years old, still single after 24 years of trying to
> get a first date, and have not received a birthday present in 20
> years; so not a happy birthday like usual....

Sigh...

What can I say, being a geek can be lonely, but then most of us became
geeks because we are better dealing with machines than people... You
may have heard the quote attributed to former US President Harry
Truman "Want a friend in Washington? Get a dog." (I gather there is
some question as to if Truman ever said the proceeding, but ... sounds
good). Regardless I would suggest that it sounds like you need to find
a friend, one with 2 or 4 legs. For myself I have a cat, who, well,
can be a friend ... sometimes ... on her terms ...

Let me also suggest that you start connecting with some non-geeks...
Some of the GTALug folks are involved in the local amateur theater
scene, others are in "mainstream" religious communities, others
gourmet food / beer / wine, among other things. It can be a bit hard
to expand beyond just the geek community, but it does help keep things
in perspective.

Colin.