[mythtv-gta]: A MythTV building workshop?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 10 15:59:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 12:45:28AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> You missed the most fundamental reason:
>
> - Rogers encrypts all HD signals (with the possible exception of
>   their own advertising channels).  The only way I know to decrypt
>   the stream is using a Rogers box.  That produces a single-channel
>   stream in various encodings, all problematic:
>
>   + HDMI -- no chance to capture (HDCP?)
>   + component -- analogue; can be captured with expensive
>     hardware that re-encodes.  Yuck.
>   + firewire -- for some channels HD, I think.  Lennart uses this.

Yeah, except I am in the process of moving the the component reencode
method (which I agree is Yuck, but I want more channels in HD back).

The number of channels working slowly drops.

>   + component -- no longer HD, I guess.  But can be captured.

I think you meant 'composite'.

>   Essentially, they almost force you to use their pathetic PVR.
>   (I know it is pathetic -- I have one.)
>
> Apropos capturing Rogers signal, Dell seems to have the Hauppauge
> capture-component-signal box on sale for the next couple of days.  $180 is
> the best I've seen.
> <http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Bundles_and_Other_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A1753033>

I bought one last time it was on sale.  Still haven't hooked it up (I
was working on it when a stick of ram died in the mythtv box and spent
the time diagnosing that instead).

--
Len Sorensen