[mythtv-gta]: A MythTV building workshop?

Hugh Gamble hugh-+oaQStku59NWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 10 07:32:24 UTC 2010

 One major advantage of using an antenna, you can get US TV.
Rogers, et al, insert more advertising than US law allows.
To do this they chop out bits of your show,
and you lose out on the actual content.

Canadian re-broadcasts are also edited and censored in other ways
for various and sundry reasons both odious and obscene.
Cable TV only shows you content approved by *the man*.

The Canadian re-broadcasts also substitute Canadian commercials.
With an antenna you can get the original US advertisements.
The ads are frequently the most interesting, important,
and socially relevant parts of the broadcast.

I don't pay for it, and I never will ;-P
(there was a time I could say that about Internet)
You can also, more and more,
supplement over the air TV with Internet TV
(both paid, and free from the Canadian rights holder).
For the 2010/2011 season,
the Canadian networks are mostly buying Canadian Internet rights
together with the broadcast rights.

You can even get *wireless* radio now, by antenna :-)
A lot of the TV tuners also do at least FM.

--
Need what I can do? Hire me: http://www.PhaedraV.com/CV.html
Hugh Gamble  voice: 905 787 1849 cell: 416 602 4050