[mythtv-gta]: A MythTV building workshop?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 10 04:45:28 UTC 2010

| From: Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

| > Rogers Digital Basic (the cheapest package) already gives you HD for
| > main Canadian and US channels.  Why do you need antenna, then?
|
| The are multiple advantages to using an antenna:

You missed the most fundamental reason:

- Rogers encrypts all HD signals (with the possible exception of
  their own advertising channels).  The only way I know to decrypt
  the stream is using a Rogers box.  That produces a single-channel
  stream in various encodings, all problematic:

  + HDMI -- no chance to capture (HDCP?)
  + component -- analogue; can be captured with expensive
    hardware that re-encodes.  Yuck.
  + firewire -- for some channels HD, I think.  Lennart uses this.
  + component -- no longer HD, I guess.  But can be captured.

  Essentially, they almost force you to use their pathetic PVR.
  (I know it is pathetic -- I have one.)

Apropos capturing Rogers signal, Dell seems to have the Hauppauge
capture-component-signal box on sale for the next couple of days.  $180 is
the best I've seen.
<http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Bundles_and_Other_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A1753033>