[mythtv-gta]: A MythTV building workshop?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 10 03:13:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 10:04:48PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
>> > That's what I have in use too, although I also use a SA4250HD.  Soon I
>> > will have an HDPVR hooked up to the 4250HD to add some more channels (some
>> > that used to work over firewire no longer do and it is getting annoying.
>> > Stupid Rogers).
>>
>> I will happily echo the "Stupid Rogers" comment, I am ... unhappy ...
>> with their service and will be rid of everything except their analog
>> cable service by end of next week :-) .
>>
>> My MythTV set-up is a hybrid set-up, 3x analog tuners tied to Rogers
>> analog cable, and 2x ATSC tuners tied to an outdoor antenna. The
>> analog tuners give me the specialty channels that are of interest to
>> me (Space and Food Network mainly) and the antenna gives me the
>> mainstream channels in HD (CBC, PBS, etc...). This works fairly well,
>> except when Rogers is out (again...). As is, I wouldn't be interested
>> in touching one of those Rogers boxes with a 10 foot pole...
>
> Rogers Digital Basic (the cheapest package) already gives you HD for
> main Canadian and US channels.  Why do you need antenna, then?

The are multiple advantages to using an antenna:

- Cost. Here we are talking (basically) a one time fixed cost. Once
you buy the antenna there is no ongoing costs to the cable company.
- Quality. Both the cable and satellite TV companies compress the
signal to cram more channels in a given amount of bandwidth. Over the
air can/will give you a better picture than the one you get via
cable/satellite.
- Control. I don't have to worry about the issues associated with
connecting to a cable / satellite box.

> Right now, I have everything with Rogers (ie. tv, home phone, wireless,
> internet), of which cable tv is the biggest portion of the bill.  So,
> I'm very interested in your antenna setup.  I look forward to your talk.

I'll be happy to get into that, explaining the choices I made and the
trade-offs I accepted...

Colin.