/etc/yum.conf

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 12 16:48:51 UTC 2009

| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| I haven't bothered to fix the fedora-updates.repo file.  I don't know
| if that is similarly easy.

It looks as if the updates to FC5 exist but the repository metadata
does not.  Assuming that is true for your obsolete version, you might
have to download all the updates yourself and build your own metadata
(using createrepo(8)).

Even better: update to a current release.  By which I mean: install a
new release -- there is no actual automatic update path that I'd
recommend.

CentOS 5.3 would be the shortest jump from what you've got.  It is based
on RHEL 5.3 which in turn is based of Fedora Core 6, I think.  CentOS
does not have the latest and greatest components but it is solid and
has a longish lifetime (if things go to plan).