/etc/yum.conf

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 12 14:52:39 UTC 2009

| From: David Tilbrook <dt-hKuJ9UrQZDM at public.gmane.org>

| I did as Huge suggested but now:
|
| 	$ yum search ...
|
| yielded:
|
| 	Searching Packages:
| 	Setting up repositories
| 	Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: updates-released
| 	Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: updates-released
|
| Any further suggestions?

1) tell us which Fedora you are running.  You told me, but it was in a
   bar so I cannot be expected to remember :-)

2) show us an ls -l of /etc/yum.repos.d/

3) show us what is in /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo

4) I get a similar message on Fedora Core 5 when I do
	$ yum search moon
	Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
	Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
   I think that means that the repositories have been retired.

In /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo, there was:
	#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
	mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever

If you go look for that mirrorlist, it is gone.  So I comment it out
and uncomment the baseurl line.

I still have a problem, but when I explore, I find
  http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/README
which says:
    ATTENTION
    The contents of this directory have been moved to our archives
    available at:

    http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/

    If you are having troubles finding something there please stop by
    #fedora-admin on irc.freenode.net

By changing the baseurl, I get it to work (but yum then doesn't like
my updates URL, and I haven't bothered to fix that:
	#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
	baseurl=http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/