OT - Stop The TV Tax

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 5 19:53:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 01:56:06PM -0400, Darryl Moore wrote:
> Oddly enough a real tax that the government collects, like the BBC TV
> tax, I'd be all in favour of.

I would not.  I much prefer that general taxes simply pay for the CBC as
it currently is.  The UK (and similar programs in many other countries)
spend a lot of time and effort to enforce the payment of your tv tax for
anyone that has a TV.  These days it is becoming very confusing because,
is your cell phone a TV?  Is your computer a TV?  At what point do you
have to pay the TV tax?  Simpler to just have it paid for out of
general revenue and not worry about charging individual users.  Too much
administrative overhead and enforcement issues.

--
Len Sorensen