OT - Stop The TV Tax

Darryl Moore darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 5 18:36:10 UTC 2009

Good points, however if you believe that there are stories that need to
be told from a Canadian perspective, that it is right for the government
to subsidize the creation of cultural content (especially in these times
when free enterprise business models are failing), then it shouldn't
really matter if you watch the particular shows or not. Just like it
doesn't matter if you have kids as to whether you pay school taxes or not.

As for the tax model to best do this. Obviously a direct television tax
is out as the line between tv and computer is increasingly becoming
grayed and, as I said, conventional broadcast would not be the preferred
distribution method.

An internet tax might be a possibility as it would be the primary means
of distribution. However a household property tax, or a head tax could
work too.

Again this would be to fund new productions by public broadcasters, not
to compensate private producers for perceived losses.

In this way, jobs would shift from the private producers to the public
broadcasters. The private producers could be relieved of their can-con
obligations (which are incompatible with an internet world) and reduce
to a more niche market, while the public broadcasters grow to fill the
void and assume the can-con requirements.

Of course this works against the interests of the private broadcasters
as they will necessarily be reduced in size, but it is in the interest
of the Canadian public.