How secure is the appearance of Ubuntu Update Manager?

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 5 17:57:15 UTC 2009

News of a slow bruteforce attack

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/2009/10/third-time-uncharmed.html

on Linux root accounts brought on an outbreak of paranoia -- in this
chair, anyway.

Since I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04, Update Manager no longer sets an icon
on the taskbar when it finds available updates; it opens a window
directly on the desktop listing the upgrades, and when I click to
start the process, prompts for my sudo password.  It occurs to me that
I'm not at all sure that this new window is really Update Manager,
rather than something from, say, ECMAScript in a browser.

I couldn't find a preference to restore the old (icon on taskbar)
behaviour, but, on second thought, the appearance of a process from
wherever on the taskbar is no more or less evidence of a secure origin
that the appearance of a window on the desktop.

I guess the sane workaround is to kill the auto-started process and
start Update Manager by hand from the System menu.

	Mel.