Lost sound card

Fri Oct 2 16:25:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 11:54:59AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 12:50:50PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>> Today I rebooted, and on boot a message it complained about not being
>> able to register intel-hda (sound card onboard).  I would like to try
>> again, as it worked with this kernel as recently as a few hours ago.

>Ignore that.  Means nothing.  Just modprobe being very noisy.
>
>> I'd really like sound to work on this machine - any have any
>> suggestions?  Thanks.
>
>Also modprobe snd does nothing interesting, it just loads the central
>snd module.  You have to load the chip specific module to get anything
>interesting to happen, which would be snd-hda-intel.

I tried that too - no dice.

>Check /proc/asound/cards

Once I fire up "alsa reload" I get two entries, one for the Intel chip
and one for the Logitech QuickCam 9000 Pro (which is "works out of the
box" webcam, BTW).

>Check dmesg.

Here are the messages relating to the failure to load the sound card:

[    9.239197] cannot find the slot for index 0 (range 0-0), error: -16
[    9.239231] hda-intel: Error creating card!
[    9.239293] HDA Intel: probe of 0000:00:10.1 failed with error -16
--

yours,

William