Lost sound card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 2 15:54:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 12:50:50PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> Today I rebooted, and on boot a message it complained about not being
> able to register intel-hda (sound card onboard).  I would like to try
> again, as it worked with this kernel as recently as a few hours ago.
>
> I tried to modprobe snd, which should do something, but all I get is a
> Warning message:
>
> WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc,
> it will be ignored in a future release.

Ignore that.  Means nothing.  Just modprobe being very noisy.

> I'd really like sound to work on this machine - any have any
> suggestions?  Thanks.

Also modprobe snd does nothing interesting, it just loads the central
snd module.  You have to load the chip specific module to get anything
interesting to happen, which would be snd-hda-intel.

Check /proc/asound/cards

Check dmesg.

--
Len Sorensen