Recommendations for lightweight Window Manager?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 3 21:16:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 00:46 -0500, David J Patrick wrote:
> waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org wrote:
> >   The problem with emulating Vista's cuteness is that you also end up
> > emulating Vista's slowness.  So forget about GNOME/KDE.  My current
> > intention is to go with either Blackbox or Fluxbox as the WM.  Is
> > anybody aware of a competitive alternative, and especially do you have
> > experience with one?
>
> Openbox is nicer, and not much heavier than blackbox, LXDE have done
> some nice things , enlightenment is a shine, light-weight triumph, I'm
> currently playing with awesomeWM, which is only slightly friendlier than
> ratpoison.
> djp

just seconding openbox -- i run it with fbpanel, which works pretty well
under ubuntu karmic; the fiddling i had to do was pretty minimal, and
the config files are easy to understand (if i remember right, it was
awesome which wanted me to learn lua to set key bindings, which seemed a
bit much). openbox + emacs + goggles music manager + firefox runs fine
on my x31, which i think is pretty comparable in terms of horsepower to
your netbook.

matt