Recommendations for lightweight Window Manager?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 3 17:36:23 UTC 2009

2009/11/3  <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>:
>  I got my shiny new toy (Acer AspireOne).  Right now, I have Knoppix
> running "dd" to back up Vista in case I ever need it.  I hope I don't.
> Let's just say Vista's "performance" on the machine is "rather
> liesurely".  After the backup finishes, Gentoo gets loaded.
>
>  The problem with emulating Vista's cuteness is that you also end up
> emulating Vista's slowness.  So forget about GNOME/KDE.  My current
> intention is to go with either Blackbox or Fluxbox as the WM.  Is
> anybody aware of a competitive alternative, and especially do you have
> experience with one?

I just got an AAO as well, although it's an older refurbed
9"/SSD/Linux model (Canada Computers for $200, nice deal).  I
Debianized it, then installed wmii (and Vimperator on Firefox) to
maximize screen real estate ... arguably you can get even more screen
real estate with a WM like ratpoison which doesn't include any title
bars or status bars, but I prefer wmii.  Both are extremely
keyboard-driven, which isn't to everyone's taste.

I would suggest nixing XFCE, Enlightenment and Awesome: all are quite
large.  Awesome could easily draw the award for most bloat in the
least amount of time ...  He's made it look prettier but the size and
number of libraries has increased by a factor of 3 or 4.  My site
about window managers is probably more than you wanted to know, but
some of the info might be useful:

http://www.gilesorr.com/wm/

For more "traditional" (ie. not keyboard-driven) WMs, fluxbox gets my
vote - I use it on several machines.  Icewm is good too, and jwm is
similar but I've seen some stability problems.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org