Linux Networks & the Competition Act (Was: Fwd: [d at DCC] Competition Act)

Darryl Moore darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 16 21:54:01 UTC 2009

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> Am I correct in inferring a libertarian streak in you Evan?  One that
> doesn't accept the idea of anti-trust regulations?

Libertarians are curious beasts, with positions that sometimes are
self-contradicting.

In regards to antitrust laws, libertarians want as free a market as
possible. But what to do when a monopoly manages to establish itself in
the market? It is no longer free. Some libertarians would support
anti-trust laws in this context, and some would not.

I've found a similar dilemma WRT intellectual property law. Intellectual
property is by definition a monopoly on reproduction and distribution.
Some libertarians think of it more as property and as such, support IP
laws. Some see it as a monopoly and therefore all IP laws are wrong.

Really it all depends on the stripes of the particular libertarian you
are referring too. :-)

For further reading, consult the official "Unabridged Book of North
American Libertarians"