Linux Networks & the Competition Act (Was: Fwd: [d at DCC] Competition Act)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 16 21:22:16 UTC 2009

| From: Darryl Moore <darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org>

| D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

| > MS Windows Vista EULA now allows virtualization
| > 	http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080121-microsoft-relents-vista-virtualization-ban-lifted.html

| That is an interesting article you point to. Unfortunately I fear it is
| the article that has the facts wrong. Not this thread.
|
| Refer to the MS EULA directly here:
|
| http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx
|
| It is quite clear. The relevant section is the one titled WINDOWS VISTA
| HOME BASIC and/or WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM

Good point.

I wonder what happened to this Microsoft press release:
  http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2008/jan08/01-21VirtualizationAdoptionPR.mspx

    For consumers, Windows Vista Home Basic and Windows Vista Home Premium
    are now licensed for use in a virtual machine environment, and the
    updated SP1 and Supplemental end-user license agreement for each
    product by language version is available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx

| > The Canadian Competition Bureau is pretty weak.  I was party to a
| > complaint about Microsoft over 7 years ago.  The Competition Bureau
| > would not even tell us the status of the complaint.  Their reason:
| > their investigatation process, if any, is confidential!
|
| You did not make a proper complaint then. (unless rules have changed
| now)  The Act is here:

Interesting.  I was not the person communicating with the Bureau.  I
recently tried to follow up with the group who complained but could
not get a response.

| I've read that before. Perhaps now that the EU and US inquiries are
| done, it is time for the Bureau to revisit this issue. That is the
| implication of the above quote.

Sounds like a useful interpretation.